- Volunteer Opportunities- WA
- Volunteer Opportunities- CA
- Volunteer FAQ
- Speaking on a Panel Flyer
- Panel Training
IGNITE Panel FAQ
- 1. How does this work?
a.Find a Panel you’d like to speak on and sign up
b. Read our Panel Prep Flyer and watch the Program Overview Video
c. Listen to the 20 minutes Panel Training
d. The teacher will email you a couple weeks before the event to check in and give you any important details about the school (parking, checking in, etc)
e. Speak on the Panel and inspire girls!
- 2. How do I sign up?
- 3. How do I learn about events?
- 4. Where will events be held?
At different middle and high schools in the greater Seattle area.
- 5. How should I dress?
Wear whatever you usually would- we want girls to see that all types of women work in STEM careers.
- 6. I didn't graduate/ don’t have a STEM degree but work in a STEM field- what should I say about that?
It’s great that you are successful despite following a nontraditional path, however it is increasingly more competitive and difficult to do this (and to move around once you have a career). If you were a teenager today what would you tell yourself about taking STEM classes and preparing for your future? Even a 2 year STEM degree could make a difference in creating an attainable future in STEM.
- 7. Should I create a Powerpoint or slide deck of some kind?
Having a visual can be really helpful and help engage your audience. If you have some slides you’d like to share we are happy to have them. You’ll have 3-7 minutes to talk so be thoughtful about what you’d like to help illustrate your career/journey. That said, it is not necessary to have any visuals- your story is always enough!
- 8. Will I get to know my co-panel members beforehand?
Before speaking on a Panel you must listen to the below audio. If you have more questions please contact us.
Notes: Volunteer Training Audio Call
Overview of a Panel
- 90 minutes with a group of students, usually over lunchtime
- Women speak 5-7 minutes each, sharing their story
- 45-60 minute Q&A with students- this is such an awesome part!
What to Share About When you Speak on a Panel
- Obstacles you overcame
- We are all different and if you observe here today, you can see all women have a different path but all lead to success
- Take technical classes at school, CS and Engineering
- Never give up- it’s giving up on yourself, and you must believe in yourself. Even if you don’t feel it you must keep going. Don’t let a class or a subject get in the way of what you want. Get a tutor, because a D equals diploma and these technical degrees open doors you cannot even imagine right now. If you think math is not for you, you won’t be doing math after you graduate. So just get through the class, just one at a time. Even if you think it’s not what you like or interested in, these tech degrees lead to many more opportunities
- How much should you share?
- focus on the immediate future for middle schoolers- try to encourage taking classes in HS and right now. For high school- share it all!
- What you do for a job and why you love it!
Other Important Reminders
- Please log your volunteer hours with your company! Many companies will match your hours and this does a great deal in helping IGNITE grow. See if your company matches and use the forms listed to submit your hours.