Our IGNITE field trips are always amazing! Our students walk in feeling nervous and unsure of their future plans and walk out feeling inspired that no matter what they choose for their future career they will be successful.
Zillow is the leading real estate and rental marketplace dedicated to empowering consumers with data, inspiration and knowledge around the place they call home, and connecting them with the best local professionals who can help. As with many tech companies, they provide opportunities for their employees to stay at work and be comfortable. They have several lunch/snack spaces offering a variety of fun foods and beverages to keep their energy up. Our students enjoyed the opportunity to load up on candy and snacks when we arrived.
We met many amazing women from a variety of backgrounds as well as countries! These strong women spoke to empower our students to advocate for themselves and their positions. We heard from Kylie Rassatt - Product Manager, Heather Palmer - Front End Web Developer, Nina Arjarasumpun - Product Manager, Brittany Kohler - Software Engineering Team, and Deanna Oviedo is with the User Experience team. They shared their stories as well as their role at Zillow. It was great to watch the faces of our students light up when they connected with something that was said. The girls were particularly excited about the app project they were tasked with. They were divided up into small groups of four, and each group created an app that would make their lives easier in some way. Then each group was given the opportunity to present their ideas.
Kylie Rassatt was fabulous! She met us with a smile and was organized and focused on making this event enjoyable for all. Our students truly enjoyed themselves from the minute we arrived until we left. As always we were all inspired by the panel of ladies and their experiences. Many of our students have never been to Seattle making this opportunity even more important for many reasons.
Kelly and I would like to thank everyone involved in making this such an amazing event.
Kelly Woyak, Career Specialist
Graham-Kapowsin High School
Robin Hodges, Career Specialist
Bethel High School
After this event:
Comments from the girls and non-binary students about what they enjoyed most on the trip:
- I really enjoyed creating an app with my group and how friendly this company is. The environment is very relaxing and welcoming as well.
- Learning about the different journeys and obstacles that these empowered women faced. Somethings I face today and makes me feel more better about life. Not "alone."
- I enjoy the presenting of the apps we created today and I was really inspired by the life stories of our Zillow volunteers. It was nice to know that everyone didn't know what they wanted to do, but worked hard and achieved great things.
- This inspired me to work harder and the panel inspired me to prove I can achieve my goals, no matter the obstacles.
- Perfection is not the goal, learning is.
- The event inspired me to stick with it to prove people wrong and show I CAN do it!