Our volunteers range from sharing their career journeys in technology to becoming regular mentors to inspire girls to explore opportunities in STEM.
“So many of these girls are like me. They are bright & curious, but so involved with trying just to make it that they can’t see all the opportunities available to them. IGNITE really makes a difference by helping them to see some of the things they might have missed.”
— Joanne Brandsma, Center of Excellence Program Manager, Microsoft
“The stories of the women from Cisco and Microsoft who become successful despite their struggles being the only women in male-dominated fields reminded me of my own struggles to fit in at Ballard. My first thought was “Wow, they are just like me.” I was inspired by how they were able to work through their obstacles and succeed.”
— Martha Flores, IGNITE student, University of Washington
Read more about the latest events and how volunteers have made a difference in the lives of so many girls!
Whether you have 5 hours or 50 hours,
volunteer with IGNITE and start inspiring the lives of girls in your area!
IGNITE volunteer opportunities:
The heart of IGNITE’s curriculum is in-school panel discussions featuring professional men and women in STEM careers sharing their career journey with a group of girls (anywhere from 20-100 students). Panelist responsibilities include:
- Sessions are scheduled October – May during the school year.
- Volunteer time is approximately 90 minutes including a lunch, not including travel time.
- Panelists are asked to give a 10-minute talk about their own experience and there is an open Q&A session with the girls at the end.
- Read IGNITE speaker preparation instructions for more detail
Professionals willing to provide solo talks to IGNITE chapters at a time of your choosing during the school day on a subject related to careers in science and technology. We typically plan for 60-90 minutes per session, not including travel time.
Read IGNITE speaker preparation instructions for more detail.
Company Field Trips
If your company is open to having field trip events – please contact us. We would love to partner to make that happen. Having girls visit companies in their communities is an important part of the program that inspires the girls, creates good community participation, and gives employees a chance to help girls in local schools.
Learn more about how our Corporate Technology Partners work with IGNITE.
If an IGNITE chapter does not exist in your area, consider becoming a Chapter Champion to serve as the local liaison to establish a lasting IGNITE presence in a specific school district.
Chapter Champion responsibilities include:
- Meeting with school district officials or STEM educators
- Assisting in or leading fundraising efforts (approximate startup costs for an IGNITE chapter are $1800)
- Outreach to establish a base of local professionals to serve as panelists and speakers