The Bethel School District just hosted our first IGNITE event this year. Forty eight fabulous young ladies from four high schools attended the event on March 9, 2012. The event was held at the Bethel School District Office. Our culinary arts program prepared a generous and delicious lunch for everyone. It consisted of chicken fettuccini, salad, and the most amazing chocolate dipped strawberries. It’s all about the food right?
The presenters for the event were from non-traditional industry, such as Construction, IT, Colleges, Apprenticeship Programs, and our district Robotics team. Thank you Danette Hilton from Intel, Michelle Gowin from Merlino Construction, Jessica Greene from Robotics at Graham Kapowsin High School, Roya Sabeti from Pierce College, and Jennifer Coyle from Carpenters Specialties Training Center.
Also a big THANK YOU to our Assistant Superintendent’s; Ann Varkados and Jennifer Bethman, Principal; Michelle Ledbetter, and CTE Asst. Director; Diane Carver for their continued support. I must mention and thank our hardworking Career Specialists for making this happen- Sandra Avalos-Graham Kapowsin High School, Jessie Blocker-Challenger High School, Trisha Pak- Spanaway Lake High School, and Robin Hodges-Bethel High School. It is an honor to work with them!
The spark has been ignited!
Here are some of the comments from the 48 girls-
- Speakers were wonderful and interesting; it sparked my interest in these fields.
- Very informative interesting and intriguing.
- The information was relevant and I wish the speakers could have gone longer.
- The speakers described the correct paths we could choose.
- The information was amazing, so many things I never knew.
- A project that the speakers have worked on and accomplished gives me motivation and something to inspire to. It wasn’t boring at all!
All girls stated that they would recommend this event to a friend.
Thank you Cathi Rodgveller for your amazing foresight and making dreams possible for every girl!
Career and Technical Education
Bethel School District