We had a fabulous event at Roosevelt HS yesterday!
A big thank you to Karl Ruff the Project Lead the Way teacher at Roosevelt HS. He has been a great IGNITE chapter leader for several years now.
The girls were so excited about the presentation and were all invited by Karl. Some of them take PLTW( Project Lead the Way) a Pre-Engineering Curriculum at Roosevelt and shared with the other girls how great the program is. Karl runs his classes just like a company and the kids learn real world experiences in Engineering. Karl was a Boeing Engineer for 16 years and has been teaching for quite a while now. We are so lucky to have him!
Thank you to the amazing women who presented at the event. They both had great power points. Matter of fact if you want to put together a ppt for ignite presentations, Fran Presley has a great one that you can use to create your own.
I think its one of the best I have ever seen. She has given me the okay to share that with other volunteers to help you create one of your own.
Thank you to Fran Presley, Engineer, Fed Ex. and thank you to Shalini Gupta, SAP Program Manager, Microsoft. You both did such an outstanding job with the girls! You shared your story and the girls loved hearing both of your journeys as successful women in Computers and Engineering. You are both inspiring women. We are so fortunate to have you as IGNITE volunteers.
Here are the comments from the girls evaluation sheets
- I enjoyed hearing all of the information and stories the guests had to tell. I am really inspired to learn more about what I could move on to do on these kinds of careers. Everything Microsoft has to offer is really interesting and I am excited to learn more about my options.
- I did not realize that Microsoft was such a big company. I had no idea they had such a huge influence. Its very interesting to range of jobs they have to offer. And all of these things they have going on. Also I never thought that there was so much going on behind the scenes at Fed Ex.
- I enjoyed hearing from the volunteers and getting to ask questions. I learned all about the different kinds of engineering and I never knew that before.
- I really appreciated the many intern,workshop, resources and options given. I’m eager to look into them. I can’t wait to get started on my career! There are so many options and I don’t actually have to choose yet, or even in college. I can wait to see what strikes me. This was great because I always worry about choosing a career field out of the many that I love.
- I liked how we were told how successful women can be in engineering loving what they do. I also enjoyed hearing what the women do each day and what exactly it is like.
- I liked learning about the IGNITE program. Very interesting to learn about what engineers do and where they work. I learned a lot about what the day to day work life of engineers are like and also I learned a lot more about Microsoft.
- I am excited to get to visit Microsoft. And I learned a lot about engineering.
- I liked Fran’s presentation, and it was funny. It was all good and interesting to learn more about the representation of women in these career fields.
- I enjoyed hearing about the life stories of the women engineers. I also thought it was interesting to learn what a small percent of women are in engineering today.
- I loved hearing the personal stories of the women. And learning about what their job is like day to day.
- Asking questions and the info about smart boys attract smart girls 🙂 I learned how many things you can do if you get an engineering degree.
- I enjoyed getting my questions answered, and learning about the romantic aspects of being an engineering wink wink. I really liked learning about how many options there are for female engineers.
- I enjoyed learning about how each woman reached where they are on their career. I learned about the APEX program at Microsoft when I graduate college I can try many different careers at Microsoft before I decide what I want to do.
- The best thing was learning about the different opportunities in technology and help finding Internships. I am really excited about the Microsoft field trip. It really makes me want to go!
- The women talked all about the different kinds of engineering and I did not know at all what they were before. I learned a lot about the relationship between careers and computers. It was so interesting and it was great.
Cathi Rodgveller M.S. Ed.
View the Roosevelt High School chapter page